Your teeth are the first that people observe whenever you smile. If you want to impress people with your charming looks, then you need to have sparling white and perfect teeth. There are many options available for you to get rid of your unsightly teeth stains, such as professional teeth whitening procedure, various over the counter whitening products and certain home remedies. However, each of these procedures carry their own benefits and drawbacks. This article aims at providing a comparison of the pros and cons of various commonly used teeth whitening procedures.
1. Professional Teeth Whitening
Professional teeth whitening involves the use of very potent but safe bleaching agents (usually carbamide peroxide), which are able to penetrate beneath the enamel layer of the teeth and dissolve teeth stains.
Pros of Professional Teeth Whitening
- Safety – since professional teeth whitening is performed under the supervision of a qualified dentist, the procedure is very safe and carries very minimal risk of adverse effects.
- Potent – since very potent bleaching agents are used in professional teeth whitening, better whitening and aesthetic results are achieved in comparison to the other whitening options.
Cons of Professional Teeth Whitening
- High Cost – professional teeth whitening procedures, due to their excellent aesthetic results and safety are quite costly in comparison to other teeth whitening methods.
2. Over the Counter Whitening Products
Numerous over the counter products are available in the market for those individuals who do not want to undergo a professional teeth whitening procedure. The ingredients of these products are quite similar to those present in professional teeth whitening formulas, however, the bleaching agents are added in very low concentrations to prevent any damage to oral tissues.
Pros of Over the Counter Whitening Products
- Convenience – there is no need for you to book an appointment with your cosmetic dentist for teeth whitening. You can simply buy domestic teeth whitening kit and perform the procedure within the comforts of your home.
- For Busy Individuals – over the counter products are highly useful for those individuals who cannot find time to visit the cosmetic dentist. They can simply perform teeth whitening whenever they are free, with the help of domestic whitening kits.
Cons of Over the Counter Whitening Products
- Less Effective – since domestic teeth whitening products contain very mild concentrations of bleaching agents, they produce less whitening effects in comparison to the professional whitening procedures.
- Relatively Lesser Reliability – since numerous domestic whitening kits are available, it is very difficult to pick the one that is safe, yet effective at the same time.
- Complicated Technique – you cannot achieve optimal aesthetic results with domestic whitening products if you do not use the correct method of application of the bleaching agent.
3. Home Remedies for Teeth Whitening
Hundreds of home remedies are available over the internet that claim to produce excellent whitening of the teeth. Most of the remedies basically contain a mild bleaching agent or any other chemical that removes surface stains from the teeth. No doubt, some of these home remedies for teeth whitening actually work and therefore a lot of people are resorting to this option.
Pros of Teeth Whitening Home Remedies
- Cost-effective – the ingredients required for making a whitening kits at your home prove to be quite cheap, since most of the constituents are already available at your homes.
- Convenient – you can perform this procedure at your homes, anytime you like.
- Safety – since only natural ingredients are used to create home teeth whitening kits, these formulas are quite safe and carry minimal chances of producing any adverse effects.
Cons of Teeth Whitening Home Remedies
- Variable Efficacy – the efficacy of home remedies is dependent upon the concentration and quality of ingredients that were used. Therefore, excellent whitening results cannot be guaranteed every time.
From the above comparison, it can be seen that whichever method you adopt for teeth whitening, you must make sure that the bleaching agent that you are using contains is sufficiently potent and safe at the same time. Furthermore, you should take great care not to damage your oral soft tissues when you are performing teeth whitening in your homes.
This professional teeth whitening vs OTC products vs home remedy teeth whitening article was written by a dentist. The owners of this domain and website are not trained medical professionals to offer any medical advise. You should always consult your own dental provider when making decisions about your dental health. Find a dental provider in the United States at http://www.discountdentalwork.com and get your dental needs at a discounted rate.